Colorado Licensing Information
- Colorado business license is required for all types of business in the state of Colorado.
- If starting a sole proprietor or general partnership business, you may need to file your trade name with Colorado Department of Revenue.
How to Get a Business License in Colorado:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact the Internal Revenue Service Internal Revenue Service (1-800-829-1040) or visit them online to get a Federal Employer's Identification Number, and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- Register your business entity online with the state for tax, wage withholding, unemployment insurance, etc.
- Determine your business license and permit requirements and apply for your Colorado business license.
- Contact your city and county government for any special zoning, permitting, or licensing requirements.
Colorado State Sales Tax:
- Colorado has a state sales tax of 2.9%.
- Many counties and cities charge their own rate in addition to the state rate. Find your city and county's sales tax rate with the Department of Revenue's online rate finder.