Iowa Business Licensing
- Iowa does not have a single, comprehensive business license or permit that will satisfy the regulation requirements for all businesses.
- Compliance requirements are based on specific activities and operations of your business.
- All businesses in Iowa, however, are subject to regulatory requirements by state agencies.
How to Get a Business License in Iowa:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact the Internal Revenue Service to get a Federal Employer's Identification Number, and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- Register your business entity with the Secretary of State.
- To see the licensing requirements and instructions for different business types, conduct a business license search.
- Contact your city and county government for specific zoning, permitting, and licensing regulations.
Iowa State Sales Tax:
- Iowa state sales tax is 5%.
- Iowa also collects corresponding use tax on out-of-sate purchases
- Local option tax also may apply.
- Find additional sales tax information here.