Nebraska Business Licensing
- Nebraska business license is required for most businesses.
- Requirements vary depending on the type and location of business.
- Contact your local town hall to learn about your licensing requirements.
- If you plan to have employees, engage in retail sales, rent/lease tangible personal property, or provide taxable services, you will need to register your business entity with the Nebraska Department of Revenue.
- If you have no employees and simply provide a service, you may not need to register.
How to Get a Business License in Nebraska:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact Internal Revenue Service to get an Employer ID Number (EIN), and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- If you need to register your business entity, you can also register online using the Nebraska One-Stop Business Registration Information System.
- Contact your local town hall to about whether you need a Nebraska business license and how to obtain one.
Nebraska State Sales Tax:
- Nebraska state sales tax is 5.5%.
- Some cities have a sales and use tax of up to 1.5%.