Texas Business Licensing Center
- All businesses in Texas operating as limited partnerships, registered limited liability partnerships, limited liability companies, corporations, professional corporations, nonprofit corporations and professional associations must register with the Secretary of State.
How to Get a Business License in Texas:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact Internal Revenue Service to get an Employer ID Number (EIN), and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- Register your business for taxes by using the Texas Online Tax Registration Application.
- Register your business entity and apply for your Texas business license and permits online at the Official Portal of Texas.
- Check with your local government for additional licensing requirements.
Texas State Sales Tax:
- Texas state sales tax is 6.25%
- Local sales and use taxes that are levied by cities, counties, transits, and special purpose districts, can add up to a total of 2% to the sales tax
- Find your specific tax rate using the Local Sales Tax Rate Search.