Virginia Business Licensing Center
How to Get a Business License in Virginia:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact Internal Revenue Service to get an Employer ID Number (EIN), and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- Register your business entity through Virginia's Business One Stop online resource.
- To learn about Virginia's state business license requirements visit the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation.
- To determine if you need a local business license, contact your local Commissioner of Revenue or the Administrators office for your city or county.
Virginia State Sales Tax:
- Virginia has a state sales tax of 4%,
- An additional 1% local tax applies to most purchases.
- State sales tax on food is 1.5% (combined tax rate is 2.5%)
- A use tax also applies.