How to Get a Business License in the District of Columbia:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact Internal Revenue Service to get an Employer ID Number (EIN), and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- File your corporate registration and trade name registration with Consumer & Regulatory Affairs.
- Check to see if your business needs a District of Columbia business license and learn about application procedures.
District of Columbia Sales Tax:
- The District of Columbia has a sales tax of 5.75%
- 5.75% for tangible personal property
- 9% for alcohol sold for off-premises consumption
- 10% for restaurant meals, take-out foods, rental cars and telephone calling cards
- 12% for commercial parking
- 14.5% for hotel and motel rooms
- Groceries, prescription and nonprescription medications and residential utility services are exempt.