How to Get a Business License in Hawaii:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact the Internal Revenue Service (1-800-829-1040) or visit them online to get a Federal Employer’s Identification Number, and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- Register your business entity with the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
- Apply for your Hawaii business license.
- Contact your city and county government for specific zoning, permitting, and licensing regulations.
Hawaii State Sales Tax:
- Hawaii does not have sales tax.
- Hawaii collects a general excise tax of 4%, which is assessed on all business activities.
- Other activities, such as wholesale sales, are taxed at 0.5%. See the general excise tax brochure for more information.
- Oahu adds a 0.5% surcharge to the general excise tax.