- A state business license is required only for certain types of business in Idaho.
- You may need city and/or county business licenses
How to Get a Business License in Idaho:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact the Internal Revenue Service to get a Federal Employer’s Identification Number, and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- Register your business entity with the Idaho Department of Commerce.
- Use the Idaho Small Business Solutions Business Wizard to determine if your business needs a license and how to apply for one.
- Contact your local clerk or recorder’s office to find out if you need local business license or permits. Find the contact information for local clerk’s office.
- See if you need a professional license to operate your business.
Idaho State Sales Tax:
- Idaho’s state sales tax is 6%.
- Food sales are taxed.
- Prescription drugs are not taxed.
- Some Idaho resort cities, counties and districts have additional local option sales tax. Get more information here.
- Idaho also has a use tax, which is at the same rate as the general sales tax.