- Certain types of business, such as commercial building contractors, may require local licensing. Contact your city clerk for more information on requirements and registration.
How to Get a Business License in Minnesota:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact Internal Revenue Service to get an Employer ID Number (EIN), and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- Register your business entity with the Minnesota Secretary of State.
- Check the state licensing requirements and apply for your Minnesota business license online.
- Contact your city and county government for specific zoning, permitting and licensing regulations.
Minnesota State Sales Tax:
- Minnesota state sales tax is 6.5% on most items
- Local sales tax may apply. For sales and use tax updates click here.
- Minnesota also has a use tax on items purchased elsewhere but used within the state.