- A state business license, certification or permit may be required for some businesses and occupations.
- See the NJ License & Certification Guide for a list of businesses and the required license or certification.
- In most cases, additional local license and permits also apply.
- All businesses must register with the New Jersey Division of Revenue.
How to Get a Business License in New Jersey:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact Internal Revenue Service to get an Employer ID Number (EIN), and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- Register your business entity with the Division of Revenue.
- Find more information about your New Jersey business license, permit or certification from your state government.
- Contact your city and county government for specific zoning, permitting and licensing regulations.
New Jersey State Sales Tax:
- New Jersey state sales tax is 7%.
- Exemptions apply to most food items for at-home preparation, medicine, clothing, footwear and disposable paper products for at-home use.