- A business license is required for most types of business in the state of California. Business license board organizations issue various state business licenses.
How to Get a Business License in California:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact the Internal Revenue Service (1-800-829-1040) or visit them online to get a Federal Employer’s Identification Number, and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- Register your business entity for tax and employer identification.
- To look up requirements and to obtain business license in state of California, use their business permitting and licensing information database.
- You can also check with Consumer Affairs to determine if your business requires license or permits.
California State Sales Tax:
- California’s combined state, county, and local sales and use tax is 7.25%
- Rate may be higher in cities and counties with special taxing districts. Find your county and city’s sales tax rate here.