Hiring the best MSP SEO agency is crucial for improving your online presence and attracting more qualified clients. But finding the right agency for MSP SEO services can be a daunting task. There are so many to choose from.
In this comprehensive guide, you’ll learn the interview questions to ask when hiring an MSP SEO agency. We’ll also share why MSPs are choosing MoreBusiness.com to provide them with rock solid SEO consulting as well as SEO coaching to bring expertise in-house.
Table of Contents
How to Hire the Best MSP SEO Agency
In your search for an SEO marketing consultant for MSP, use these 7 questions. They will help you to find an agency that can outrank your competitors on Google.
At its core, the right SEO partner will help you generate qualified leads for your MSP business. Make sure the SEO service proposals you review have lead generation as the primary MSP marketing driver.
1. What is your approach to SEO?
When interviewing an MSP SEO agency, it is essential to ask about their approach to SEO. A good agency should be able to explain their strategy clearly and concisely. They should be able to tell you what techniques they use to optimize your website and improve your rankings.
Some of the techniques that they might use include keyword research, on-page optimization, link building, and content marketing. They should also be able to provide you with a timeline of when you can expect to see results.
For example, at MoreBusiness.com, our unique MSP marketing approach leverages tools and interviews to develop SEO-friendly content quickly. Our first step is to ensure that we’ve done sufficient keyword research to know what terms will attract qualified leads.
We then interview you and your team to create original content that “sounds like you.” This gives your material the energy and insights that you bring to your clients. The recording is repurposed in different ways to generate more leads for your business.
MoreBusiness.com MSP SEO Agency Process:
- Create a series of topics that make sense for your managed service provider business
- Do extensive keyword research to identify your ideal MSP SEO search terms – read our MSP SEO Keyword Examples →
- Develop an outline for each topic using ChatGPT, then refine it
- Record an interview with you or your team on each topic
- Ensure your content uses nearby city names, your examples and case studies
- Transcribe the recording and convert it into a series of articles and a guide for downloading that converts visitors into leads
- Repurpose the recording to create video clips for social media posts and embedding on articles
- Use the recording as a podcast for your MSP business to give you added exposure to new audiences
Our clients love this approach!
It is a very structured way to create valuable content on IT topics that make sense for your MSP buyer personas. It positions your managed service provider business as a local provider of choice.
The content we generate for your site automatically embeds locality within the text. This is important to increase your rankings on Google for your local area.
2. How do you stay up-to-date with the latest SEO trends and changes?
SEO is constantly evolving. It’s vital to find an MSP SEO agency that stays up-to-date with the latest trends and algorithm changes. Ask the agency how they keep up with the latest developments in SEO.
- Do they attend industry conferences or seminars?
- Do they read industry blogs and publications?
- Which SEO tools do they use?
A good agency should be able to demonstrate their knowledge of the latest SEO trends and techniques. You’ll be able to spot their level of expertise in the knowledge they share in their blogs or Youtube channel.
At MoreBusiness.com, we stay abreast of trending topics on publications including:
- Google Search Central Blog (a resource that’s right from the horse’s mouth)
- Search Engine Journal
- Search Engine Watch
- Semrush (our preferred tool)
We also watch for other trends, like ChatGPT and how AI-generated content is impacting the landscape. We then share relevant insights freely, like this tip comparing the cost of SEO vs PPC (pay per click):
3. How do you convert MSP website SEO visitors into leads?
It is essential to measure the success of an SEO campaign to determine if it is effective. Ask the MSP SEO agency how they measure the success of their campaigns.
- Do they use analytics tools to track traffic and conversions?
- Do they use keyword tracking software to monitor Google rankings?
The ideal agency will provide you with reports on the success of your SEO campaigns.
The related question and more relevant one is about converting visitors into leads. There’s no value in driving website traffic if those visitors are not qualified. A good SEO marketing consultant for MSP will show you precisely how to capture contact information from qualified visitors.
Download our free MSP Marketing Plan Template →
We recommend embedding content request forms on strategic pages to offer a useful download.
If you host your website on WordPress, we also recommend including an “exit intent” popup. This gives visitors an opportunity to exchange their email for useful information, which allows you to stay in touch. Research shows that these forms work far better than the common “Contact Us” button.
4. How do you handle communication and reporting?
Communication is crucial when working with an MSP SEO agency. Ask the agency how they handle communication and reporting.
- Do they send regular emails or schedule meetings to discuss progress?
- Do they provide detailed reports on the work that they have done and the results that they have achieved?
- Do they share the specific tasks they are doing or are their notes more high level?
- Is there a monthly plan of activities so you know what to expect during your engagement?
- Are they sharing their research on MSP keywords and other data on MSP marketing for your business?
Our belief is that transparency is essential. We will share exactly what we’re doing and why. This method educates you and your team on MSP SEO best practices.
5. Can you provide examples of your own SEO success?
Most MSP SEO agencies can provide glowing references or testimonials from clients. However, clients may not know whether the agency is doing all of the right tasks to increase the MSP website SEO.
A better check is to see what terms the agency itself is ranked on. If they rank near the top for popular keywords, that’s a good sign that they’ll know what to do for your MSP business.
In our case, if you search Google for the term “SEO coach” you will find MoreBusiness.com ranked among the top 5 listings in the USA and usually in the top 10 worldwide.
This is a hard term to get ranked on and it’s a solid indicator of what we provide for our clients.
And if you typed in a search term to land on this page, the results speak for themselves. We created this page as an anchor to attract MSPs just like you using our own SEO strategy.
6. What is your pricing structure?
Ask the MSP SEO agency about their pricing structure.
- Do they charge a flat fee?
- Do they charge by the hour?
- Do they they charge by MSP SEO keyword?
Our MSP SEO services pricing is simple: a flat monthly fee based on your geographic location and goals.
Rates start at $3000/month (US Dollars) for 6 months at a time.
Ask for our detailed SEO for MSP proposal using the form below that shares the exact steps we take and what to expect every month.
7. Will you be my exclusive MSP SEO Agency in my local area?
Working with an exclusive MSP SEO agency in your local area is critical. If your agency also works for your competitors in the same city, they have an inherent conflict of interest. Which client will they prioritize for key terms like “data security <your city>”?
That’s why it is important to have an exclusive relationship with your SEO agency for your geographical area. Truth be told, it’s actually a deal breaker if they are not exclusive to you.
At MoreBusiness.com, being exclusive to a client is one of our tenants of operation. This way, we avoid a situation that would put one client’s needs over that of another’s.
This video shows how much local search traffic is looking for managed service providers just like you. It goes to the point of why exclusivity in SEO for MSP is a key step in finding the right agency. You don’t want to be competing with one of their clients for relevant keywords.
MSP SEO Agency Best Practices
There are many other factors that influence your search rankings. SEO is a complex and ever-changing field, and it requires ongoing effort and attention to achieve lasting results.
The best MSP SEO services and consultants are also coaches. Their goal is to help you understand the best practices to keep your business in sync with Google’s frequent algorithm updates.
In addition to finding the right MSP SEO agency, there are other steps to improve your search rankings. These include:
- Creating high-quality, relevant content that is optimized for keywords
- Building high-quality backlinks from reputable sources
- Ensuring that your website is mobile-friendly and easy to navigate
- Optimizing your website for local search, if applicable
- Engaging with your audience on social media and other online platforms
- Continuously monitoring and analyzing your SEO performance to identify areas for improvement
Working with a reputable and experienced MSP SEO services provider helps you achieve your SEO goals. More importantly, it helps you outrank your competitors on Google.
Marketing for MSPs
Our MSP SEO agency has specific deliverables. Fill out the form below to get our detailed proposal.
It’s a 6-month program designed to leverage your expertise to create multi-purpose content that attracts qualified leads.
The investment is $3000 per month for 6 months (total USD $18,000, renewable for additional 6-month periods).
Deliverables Per 6-Month Period
- Keyword research, including local terms
- 6 video podcasts: outlines with keywords, edited recordings
- 2-4 video clips per podcast (often more) for social posts and articles
- 1-2 long form SEO optimized articles for website to attract visitors
- Guide you/your team to implement best practices to convert visitors into leads
Process: SEO for MSPs
- The core centers around SEO keyword research that aligns with your business focus
- We then plan 6 video podcasts as the genesis of original content using outlines and talking points that we generate for you so that the conversation naturally embeds keywords into the dialog.
- The sample topics listed in the proposal are designed to showcase the broad range of your services, which will show current clients other ways you can help them (i.e., the “land and expand” marketing strategy).
- We’ll record each podcast in an interview format where you are the expert and I interview you.
- If you would like to alter the format at any point in the program to have you be the interviewer speaking to any of your clients, I can change my role to “producer” and operate in the background.
- The podcast transcripts are converted into articles using ChatGPT, reviewed for polish, and then optimized for SEO. This process saves significant expenses in hiring additional writers.
- The content cascades into multi-purpose text (blogs), video clips for social, and material for you and your team to share, which expands your reach into the various ways prospects consume information and learn about your services.
- As we provide the final versions for you or your team to post, we guide you on creating conversion paths to nurture leads into sales dialogs.
Get a Detailed SEO MSP Proposal
Hiring the best MSP SEO agency is a critical step to improve your online presence and attract more customers.
Contact MoreBusiness.com using the form below and we will help take your business to the next level.
Author: Raj Khera is the co-founder of MoreBusiness.com, an MSP SEO Agency and SEO Coaching service. He is a 3x CEO who has built and sold several companies with aggregate exits valued over $30 million.