- Kentucky does not have a statewide, comprehensive business license that applies to all businesses.
- Some business types are required to have a special license or permit to operate in Kentucky and may need more than one license.
- To determine if your business needs a special license or permit from the Commonwealth of Kentucky, click here.
How to Get a Business License in Kentucky:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact the Internal Revenue Service to get a Federal Employer’s Identification Number, and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- Register your business entity with the Kentucky Secretary of State.
- Go to the Kentucky Secretary of State’s One-Stop Business Licensing Program to apply for a business license and learn more about license/permit policies. You can also call the Kentucky Business License Clearing House at 1-800-626-2250 for your license.
- Contact your local government for cities and counties regulations that may affect your business and check to see if your business needs local licenses.
Kentucky State Sales Tax:
- Kansas state sales tax is 6%
- A use tax of 6% may apply for out-of-state purchases for storage or use in Kentucky.