- A retail sales license from the Missouri Department of Revenue is required for all businesses making retail sales.
- A local Missouri business licenses may also be required.
How to Get a Business License in Missouri:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact Internal Revenue Service to get an Employer ID Number (EIN), and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- Register your business entity with the Secretary of State
- LLCs and corporations need to file an article of incorporation or articles of organization form.
- Sole proprietorship and partnerships need to file a Registration of Fictitious Name form.
- S-corporations need to file an article of incorporation and a IRS Form 2553.
- Contact your city or county government to obtain your local business licenses.
Missouri State Sales Tax:
- Missouri state sales tax is 4.225%
- Additional local taxes may apply. See this list of city and county sales and use tax rates.
- Missouri Secretary of State: Starting a Business
- Starting a Business in Missouri (SBDC)
- Doing Business in Missouri: Legal Formation (PDF)
- Online Business Registration
- Licenses and Registration Checklist
- Business Registration Forms
- Department of Revenue: Business Tax
- SBA Missouri
- Missouri SBDC
- Secretary of State in Missouri
- SCORE Counselors to America’s Small Business