- Indiana does not have any one single, comprehensive business license, but all businesses are subject to regulatory requirements by state agencies.
- Some businesses are required to register for a business license.
- Registration is required if you plan to hire employees, engage in selling (retail or wholesale) and/or lease tangible personal property, etc.
- A service-oriented company that has no employees may not need to register. Contact the Department of Revenue for additional information about current requirements for individual businesses.
How to Get a Business License in Indiana:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact the Internal Revenue Service to get a Federal Employer’s Identification Number, and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- If needed, register your new business entity with the Secretary of State. Register online or download the forms.
- Determine if your business needs a state license or permits.
- Contact your city and county government for specific zoning, permitting, and licensing regulations.
Indiana State Sales Tax:
- Indiana state sales tax is 7%