Do you ever feel like you’re about to snap? Maybe work is piling up and your personal life is a mess, or maybe you’re just dealing with everyday stress. It can be tough to keep your cool under pressure, but it’s important to try. In this blog post, we will discuss some ways that you can keep your head on straight and stay calm under stress.
Just because you’re working from home doesn’t mean you’re immune to stress. Keeping your cool when things get heated is an essential skill — one that can prevent you from taking out your frustrations on your family and work.
Keep Your Cool Under Stress
Here are 11 things you can do to make your cares float away and keep your cool.
1. Take a deep breath when you start to get tense. As you exhale, think of all of your stress exiting your body with your breath. You will actually be able to feel the difference after three or four deep breaths.
2. Count to 10, slowly. This exercise can slow a racing mind and will give you a chance to gain perspective once again.
3. Give yourself a pep talk. It sounds corny, but coaching yourself through difficult situations with phrases like “I know you can do it” and “Right on! You got the hang of it now” can give your ego the boost it needs. Remember the Little Engine That Could’s mantra: “I think I can, I think I can .”
4. Take a step back, then move forward one step at a time. When facing the stress of a deadline, it’s easy to become overwhelmed by everything you must accomplish. Say to yourself, “I’m not quite sure how I’ll get from here to there, but I know I will — and I’ll do the best damned job I can.” Then deal with your tasks in small, logical, progressive bits. Before you know it, you will have met your deadline.
5. Learn from your mistakes. Nobody is perfect. Rather than dwelling on what you did wrong, figure out what you can learn from the situation. Be sure to take note of what you did well, too.
6. When it gets to be too much, take a break. Use the negative energy created by stress to do something productive — take 45 minutes and exercise. Or spend five minutes doing dishes. The trick is to walk away from your work and clear your head.
7. Don’t bottle up your emotions. It’s important to express how you’re feeling, whether it’s through talking to a friend, journaling, or even venting to a stuffed animal. If you keep everything bottled up, it will eventually explode.
8. Find a hobby. Doing something that you enjoy can help take your mind off of whatever is stressing you out. Whether it’s painting, hiking, playing an instrument, or anything else, find something that makes you happy and stick with it.
9. Eat healthy. Eating junk food will only make you feel worse. Make sure to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to keep your body and mind feeling good.
10. Exercise. Getting your heart rate up releases endorphins, which have mood-boosting effects. Even something as simple as a brisk walk can help you feel better and keep your cool.
11. Get enough sleep. When you’re tired, everything seems harder. Make sure to get plenty of rest so that you can tackle whatever comes your way with a clear head.
By following these tips, you’ll be on your way to managing stress like a pro! Remember to take things one step at a time and to ask for help when you need it.
Keeping your cool is easy if you maintain a positive mental attitude and know when to take a break. You got this!