- A state business license is required for all types of business in Maine.
- Licensing agencies are at the city level.
- Certain professions and type of business need additional permits and licenses.
How to Get a Business License in Maine:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact the Internal Revenue Service to get an Employer ID Number (EIN), and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- If you are operating a corporation, you need to register your business entity with State of Maine Bureau of Corporations.
- Contact your city licensing office to obtain your Maine business license.
- See if your business needs additional business licenses.
- Contact your city and county government for specific zoning, permitting and licensing regulations.
Maine State Sales Tax:
- Maine state sales tax is 5%.
- There is also a 7% tax on lodging and prepared food and 10% tax on short-term auto rentals.
- Some exemptions apply for different types of organizations, such as hospitals, schools, churches and libraries. Find a list of organizations that qualify for sales tax exemption.