- A state business license is required only for some types of business in Maryland (auctioneer, billiard table, chain store, restaurants, etc).
How to Get a Business License in Maryland:
- Contact the Internal Revenue Service to determine whether you need a federal employer’s identification number, and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- Register your business entity with the State of Maryland.
- Determine if your business needs a state business license.
- If needed, obtain your Maryland state business license by contacting your local Clerk of the Circuit Court.
Maryland State Sales Tax:
- Maryland state sales tax is 6%.
- There is no local sales tax in Maryland.
- Maryland has a 6% use tax that applies to tax-free purchases from out of state that must be reported and paid by filing the Maryland use tax return.