A marketing coach trains, guides and empowers your team to develop and execute a robust marketing strategy that drives sales.
Here’s what to expect from a good marketing coach, plus an overview of what you can expect from marketing coaching services I offer at MoreBusiness.com.
Before you get too deep into this article, I have a simple (but very important) recommendation for you:
- Pick a marketing coach that has a proven track record of growing companies
I’ve personally led companies from starting out in a spare bedroom into fast-growth multi-million dollar entities that were acquired by public firms for an aggregate value of over $30 million.
I now serve as a board member, growth advisor and marketing coach to businesses who are looking to achieve similar success. You can read the details in my LinkedIn profile (link below) and see the regular posts I share about growth marketing.
Use this guide on marketing coaching to understand what a good marketing coach should do to grow your business.
Do You Need a Small Business Marketing Coach?
Good marketing makes sales much easier.
And a good marketing coach can save you lots of time and money. I mean lots!
- Are you struggling to find qualified leads?
- Are you attracting the wrong type of prospect?
- Do you feel your marketing isn’t helping you drive sales?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, a good coach can take you from languishing to thriving.
The first thing to discuss: your goals. Goals will shape the strategies to achieving marketing success.
Starting Point: Define Your Market Strategy
Without an effective marketing strategy, you risk targeting the wrong prospects and losing new opportunities to sell your products and services. It directly affects your bottom line and your long-term sustainability.
Growing your business involves much more than brand development, offering products and services, and managing operations.
How can you develop a robust marketing strategy, and should you seek help from a small business marketing coach (or an executive leadership coach)?
This article shows you the role of a marketing coach and helps you determine whether you need one for your marketing team or growing business.
What Is a Marketing Coach?
They help you and your team build the skillset to generate qualified leads and move them through your sales process.
A good marketing coach for small business develops a step-by-step action plan with you to achieve these goals.
They can also guide you on things you may be doing that are hindering your growth and help you stay on track as you develop and execute your marketing plan.
Moreover, a coach can suggest marketing techniques, tools, programs, and offer professional help to make the most of these assets.
You can also work with them to develop long-term plans for your business and sustain growth.
The Difference between Marketing Coach and a Marketing Consultant
Marketing coaches are often confused with marketing consultants. The key difference is deliverables vs. training. Let’s take a closer look.
What Does a Marketing Consultant Do?
A marketing consultant is typically hired for a specific deliverable. It is usually based on a project. For instance, you may seek their help in:
- Generating a market report
- Developing a strategy and identifying tactics
- Implementing projects
They can work with your team, but for the most part, they do a majority of the work independently. You can also provide a consultant with your inputs and have the deliverable tailored to your requirements.
What Does a Marketing Coach Do?
Like a sports coach, your marketing coach teaches you and your team what to, which builds your internal expertise and saves you a lot of money in the long run.
A marketing coach can:
- Help you set up marketing processes, including demand generation
- Guide you on critical functions and what steps to take and when
- Recommend and teach you how to utilize appropriate marketing tools
- Identify tactics that supplement your marketing plan
- Offer advice on marketing costs and how to reduce them
A marketing coach’s ultimate goal is to make your team self-sufficient so they can develop effective marketing strategies on their own.
My approach to coaching is built in the art of storytelling for business. All of us learn better through stories.
Here’s a quick story on how every business can create use cases to achieve customer happiness:
A coach’s role differs significantly from a marketing consultant. You can expect a marketing consultant to provide you with a specified deliverable.
On the other hand, a coach will show you the ropes and help your team improve so that your business may thrive in the future.
Hiring a marketing coach can deliver long-term benefits. They train your team to become more capable, which is very cost-efficient. It’s also important to remember that your team is a valuable asset in itself.
A competent and well-trained marketing team will help you gain an edge over the competition and continue to perform amid new business challenges. In the case of a marketing consultant, the benefits are short-term since their focus is more on delivering a project than on enhancing the skills of you and your team.
What Are Some Examples of Marketing Coaching Topics?
A business and marketing coach can help startups and established businesses alike. You can hire them as a dedicated resource for building and training your marketing team.
Furthermore, you can also arrange workshops allowing your team to develop their skills and benefit from a valuable resource. They can serve as a fresh pair of eyes and provide you with a new direction for your marketing efforts.
A marketing coach can also offer objective advice on expanding into new markets and positioning your products and services to drive sales.
Examples of marketing coaching workshops include:
- Developing a unique selling proposition/unique marketing message
- How do strategic alliances work?
- Understanding and leveraging search engine optimization (SEO)
- Creating affordable direct mail campaigns
- How to conduct effective competitor research?
- Creating an ultimate client profile
- Developing and implementing a cost-efficient marketing mix
- Can you reduce your marketing budget by 50% and double its effectiveness?
- How can guerilla marketing help a small business?
- What is your digital marketing philosophy?
- Introduction to social media marketing and branding
Here’s a quick tip on a coaching idea for your team – do this on every deal your company wins and loses:
Building Your Marketing Team
If you are building your marketing team, you’ll need to define marketing roles and positions applicable to your business. For example, if you need a team for online marketing, you might need to fill roles like:
- Team lead
- Website designer
- Content creator
- Graphic designer
- SEO specialist
- Email campaign manager
- Data analytics expert
- Social media marketing specialist
- Demand generation manager
Besides this, you might need a brand manager, public relations manager, product marketing manager, campaign manager, etc.
For small businesses, many of these roles can be done by a few individuals or a small marketing team.
In fact, many companies use a seasoned marketing coach to train the team. This is a far less expensive approach, especially for mindful budgets, and provides immense value to the business.
You can also hire a marketing coach to supplement your team. They can work directly with the team lead or the business owner to define marketing strategies and activities that complement business goals.
Once a strategy is in place, they can coach your team and guide them on the best way to execute it.
They can also help you set up KPIs and benchmarks for success. You can use these to measure the effectiveness of your marketing activities and improve them.
Marketing Coach Services
Organized marketers improve their chances of success by 397%!
At MoreBusiness.com, I offer marketing coach services that can help you clarify your business vision, improve business performance, and empower your team.
As a 3x CEO and CMO having grown multi-million dollar companies from the ground up, my executive marketing coaching is designed to help you address potential obstacles that stand in the way of your business goals.
I can help you improve your marketing efforts to deliver more impact and inculcate new habits that lead to more successful outcomes.
The marketing coach services I provide MoreBusiness.com offers the experience and resources to help you avoid expensive mistakes. Set up an appointment using the link above for an insightful conversation about growing your business.
Examples of Marketing Coaching Results
Here’s a sampling of my past projects and results.
- Turned around a stagnant content and product marketing effort into a lead generating machine, including creating and hosting webinars that attract 300-500 registrants (in some cases 900-1000) every 2-4 weeks compared to sporadic webinars a few times a year that used to attract only 50-60 existing clients.
- Streamlined numerous operational and marketing processes, including demand generation which increased qualified meetings with enterprise prospects from 10 per month to 3 or more per day.
- Grew partnership program with Salesforce.org that made the client their #1 revenue-generating partner for wealth data analytics. Incorporated business storytelling into sales culture.
- Architected an account expansion strategy that is on track to generate an additional $1 million in sales from previously flat customer accounts. Created sales enablement process to increase client retention by 10%.
- Increased Top 10 SEO rankings from 155 to over 500 while generating an overall increase in Top 100 rankings from 1,900 to 6,300 in two years; boosted social media footprint from 11,000 to 62,000 followers. Created a series of blogs, guides and marketing funnels to support continued growth in thought leadership.
- Inspire, manage and mentor multiple teams across different departments in 3 continents to drive feature innovation, customer experience, new revenue growth and expansion of existing accounts.
SEO (search engine optimization) is one of my specialities.
Take a look at the site you’re on right now: MoreBusiness.com. It’s one of the top ranked sites for marketing plan examples and sample business plans. Google sends over 60,000 unique individuals who are looking for business guidance each month to this site.
It didn’t get these rankings by accident. There’s a lot of strategic SEO that my team and I implemented and I can show you exactly what to do to attract qualified leads to your business.
Interested in seeing a sampling? This quick video shares an idea you can implement right now on your website to convert lost traffic into potential leads. It focuses on the 404 page, which is usually left untouched by most companies.
Marketing Plan Coach
As the author of MoreBusiness.com’s Marketing Plan Example, one of the most widely referenced and downloaded marketing plans on the Internet, you will tap into seasoned expertise to help craft your marketing plan to build your company.
I’m happy to send you copies of these very popular downloads:
- Marketing Plan Templates
- Business Plan Templates
- The Marketing Crash Course
- Guide to Increasing Your Google Ranking
Whether you’re looking for an investment or organic growth, I’ll be your marketing plan coach to create a successful marketing plan.
How Much Does a Marketing Coach Cost?
Search the web for how much a marketing coach costs and you’ll get very little insight. Here’s the reason: it depends.
Every situation is different so I’ll lay out common scenarios.
Personalized Monthly Group Coaching Sessions
Your coach should provide guidance on the topics that make the most sense for your business. This can include:
- SEO audit and review to see where your business stands in terms of online visibility
- Keyword research and discovery to identify high-potential opportunities to generate leads
- Recommendations on action items for written content, pay per click ads, and social media strategy
- Regular follow up with accountability to ensure you and/or your team are moving toward your desired results
Estimated 2 group sessions per month, 1-hour each: $600/month
Individualized Coaching Session for Marketing Team Members
Your marketing team is your asset. Often, executives gain immense value in providing a marketing coach to help junior team members learn new skills and unblock themselves from the limits that are holding them back:
- Train team members on SEO, email marketing, and digital marketing best practices
- Help team members sharpen their interpersonal skills that create heightened emotional intelligence
- Dive into self-limiting beliefs that may be preventing team members from performing at higher levels
- Shape a growth mindset that enables team members to see and pursue opportunities that deliver stronger results
Estimated 4 sessions per month (1-hour per session): $1200/month
Executive Leadership Coaching
As a leader, how do you know if you are asking the right questions of your team? If you’re setting stretch goals that motivate?
There are few marketing coaches that offer a CEO/CMO perspective. I’ve been in both roles for high growth companies. In our executive leadership sessions, we will dive into important topics that will lead to growth:
- Aligning team and company goals with your staff’s personal goals to increase productivity and retention
- Setting up a growth team structure and getting the right staff into swim lanes that enable your company to move faster
- Explore areas where you can grow and inspire your team to reach their potential
Estimated 1 session per month, 90-minutes each: $450/month
Ready to learn more or get started?