- A state business license is required for certain businesses. These businesses include motor vehicle repair shops, beauty salons, food establishments, real estate companies and child day care centers.
- To find your business license and permit requirements see New York State’s Online Permit Assistance and Licensing website.
How to Get a Business License in New York:
- Register your business, apply for your permits and licenses, and get your Federal Employer Identification Number online at the Online Permit Assistance and Licensing center.
- See the Governor’s Office of Regulatory Reform for information about local permits, regulation and any additional occupational licenses you may need.
- Contact your county clerk about local laws such as zoning, parking and additional local licenses.
New York State Sales Tax:
- New York state sales tax is 4%.
- Local rates vary causing the combined sales tax rate to be more than 7% in some areas.