How to Get a Business License in Tennessee:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact Internal Revenue Service to get an Employer ID Number (EIN), and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- Register your business entity, file tax registration, and apply for an unemployment insurance number at the One Stop Business Registration.
- Find information on how to obtain a Tennessee business license for your specific business.
- Check with your industry departments and your local government for additional licensing requirements.
Tennessee State Sales Tax:
- Tennessee state sales tax is 7%.
- Food is taxed at 5.5 %, but candy, dietary supplements and prepared food are taxed at 7%.
- Local sales taxes are also collected.
- Instructions for Opening a Business in Tennessee
- Small Business Technical Assistance Guide
- Business Name Availability Search
- Tennessee Department of State: Brochures and Filing Guides
- Business Taxes
- Business Tax Registration
- SBA Tennessee
- Tennessee Small Business Development Center
- Secretary of State Division of Business Services
- SCORE Counselors to America’s Small Business