Penetration testing is one of the most important security measures that businesses can take to ensure their networks and data are safe from unauthorized access. Many business owners are in the dark about penetration testing and its benefits.
In this article, we will define penetration testing in a brand new light and discuss different approaches, types, and the step-by-step process of conducting a penetration test. We’ll also talk about the importance of penetration testing for startups and provide a list of some of the penetration testing services in India.
Table of Contents
Understanding Penetration Testing
Penetration Testing is a process of heightened security measures by which any areas of vulnerability are found and exploited. These vulnerabilities can manifest in system configuration settings, login methods, or even end-user behavior.
Apart from evaluating security, pentesting is also necessary to test the effectiveness of defensive systems and security techniques.
Manual and automated tests are used to break into the application’s security with valid access. When the vulnerabilities are identified and exploited, the customer receives a comprehensive penetration testing report that describes the scope of the test, flaws discovered, their severity, and mitigation measures.
Why Penetration Testing is Important
In today’s digital world, data breaches have become all too common. If current trends continue, experts predict that by the end of 2019, a firm will be attacked every 14 seconds. With figures like these, it’s no surprise that penetration testing has emerged as an essential component in keeping organizations safe.
By purposefully trying to break into a computer network, penetration testing finds vulnerabilities in systems that hackers could take advantage of. By conducting regular penetration tests, businesses can find and fix security weaknesses before they’re exploited. By taking these measures, you can avoid costly data breaches, reputation damage, and losing customer trust.
In addition to helping businesses avoid attacks, penetration testing is also required by many compliance regulations (such as PCI DSS). These regulations require businesses to regularly test their systems for vulnerabilities and take steps to mitigate any risks that are found.
Penetration Testing for Startups
As a startup, it’s especially important to invest in penetration testing. Startups are often targeted by hackers because they’re seen as easy targets with weak security. In addition, startups often don’t have the same resources as larger businesses to recover quickly from a data breach.
By running regular penetration tests, startups can locate and fix any weak spots before they’re taken advantage of. This can help to prevent costly data breaches and keep the business safe.
Penetration Testing: 3 Distinct Approaches
This test is one in which the testers have full knowledge and control of the system under evaluation. The aim of this method is to thoroughly examine that technology in order to obtain a lot of information about it.
In this approach, the tester acts as an uneducated attacker and creates the test based on what he or she knows about it. This method is closest to a real-world attack and requires significant technological expertise. The white-box technique has a longer duration but is less expensive than this one.
This method is halfway between white and black box testing in terms of name. The tester has just enough understanding of the system to complete a test. The benefit of this strategy is that with a lesser amount of expertise, the tester can target a more focused area of attack, avoiding any trial-and-error tactics for an attack.
Different Types of Penetration Testing
Network Penetration Testing
In this type of test, the tester attempts to gain unauthorized access to the network infrastructure. This includes routers, switches, firewalls, and other devices that make up the network.
Application Penetration Testing
In this type of test, the tester attempts to gain unauthorized access to the application itself. This includes the code, database, and web server.
Wireless Penetration Testing
In this type of test, the tester attempts to gain unauthorized access to wireless networks. This includes Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth devices.
Social Engineering Penetration Testing
In this type of test, the tester attempts to gain unauthorized access by tricking employees into giving up sensitive information. This includes phishing attacks and tailgating.
Penetration Testing Step-by-Step Process
- Reconnaissance is the first step and involves gathering information about the target system. This may be accomplished through active or passive techniques. Active methods involve directly interacting with the system, while passive methods involve indirect methods like Google searches.
- Scanning is the second step and involves using tools to scan for vulnerabilities in the system. This can include port scanners as well as vulnerability scanners.
- Exploitation: The third step, known as exploitation, takes advantage of system weaknesses to gain access. SQL injection and buffer overflows are two common attack methods.
- Post-exploitation: It is the fourth step and involves post-exploitation tasks like privilege escalation and lateral movement.
- Maintaining access: Attempting to maintain unauthorized access to a system, attackers will place rootkits and backdoors. Testers often do this as well in order to examine if the application can detect and remove any malicious programs.
- Reporting: Everything conducted during this pen testing is meticulously recorded, as well as the method and solutions to repair any security problems. Because the report’s confidentiality is very important, it is delivered in a secure manner to authorized personnel.
Top Penetration Teswting Services India
Astra Pentest is one of the most reputable and experienced providers of penetration testing services in India. This automated pentesting tool offers more than 3000 checks for security vulnerabilities. Their key features include:
- Specific Features: With Astra Pentest, you can easily and efficiently scan for security vulnerabilities behind logins, business logic errors, and even gaps in security. This way, you can make informed decisions about the next steps to take to improve your organization’s security posture.
- Intuitive Dashboard: Astra’s user-friendly CXO-friendly dashboard shows all of the vulnerabilities identified and patched, as well as their information and CVSS scores. In addition, members from the target organization’s development team may be included for collaboration between them and Astra’s testers to expedite the resolution of bugs.
- Customer Care: Astra provides 24-hour customer support and POC videos to ensure that its clients can easily accomplish the repairs required. If necessary, expert pentesters at Astra will offer customer support by mail or phone using the knowledge they gained during the test.
- Compliance: Astra Pentest lets you choose which standards you want your organization’s security system checked against. It also has a compliance-specific dashboard that notifies you of any non-compliance issues discovered, as well as steps for addressing them.
At eSec Forte, they’re proud of being a CMMI Level-3 ISO 9001 and 27001 certified company that provides IT services and cybersecurity consulting. They were founded in 2010 with the goal of providing our clients with the best possible service. With its headquarters in Delhi, eSec Forte has established itself as one of the leading penetration testing companies in India.
ISECURION is an IT cybersecurity business based in Bangalore that specializes in information security consulting and technology services, modernization, and research. ISECURION serves its clients based on their current information security situation.
Kratikal Tech Pvt. Ltd
Kratikal Tech Pvt. Ltd is a Noida-based company that provides protection for your businesses from cyber threats. They utilize cutting-edge solutions to help you with critical security concerns.
Secugenius is an information security firm based in Noida, India. They offer professional solutions to protect organizations from cybercrime, including cybersecurity and ethical hacking services. Their knowledge of security and ability to provide safe business environments has made them a strong presence in the market.
Pristine Info Solutions
Based in Mumbai, Pristine Info Solutions provides its clients with ethical hacking and information security services that accurately reflect the real-world threats they face. Ranked as one of the best in India, Pristine strives to always be on the cutting edge.
Indian Cybersecurity Solution
Indian Cybersecurity Solution is a cybersecurity solutions provider based in Kolkata, India. It specializes in web application penetration testing and provides assessments for many programming languages and platforms. ICSS has outstanding penetration testing services indication capabilities and serves customers all over the world.
As you can see, there are many reputable penetration testing companies in India that can help your organization assess and improve its security posture. When choosing a provider, be sure to consider your specific needs and requirements. It’s always a good idea to do your research and get recommendations from people you trust before making any decisions.
A penetration test is an important element of any security strategy. By regularly testing your systems, you can ensure that they are able to withstand real-world attacks. In addition, penetration testing can help you identify weaknesses in your system so that you can take steps to fix them.
Ankit Pahuja is the Marketing Lead & Evangelist at Astra Security. Ever since his adulthood (literally, he was 20 years old), he began finding vulnerabilities in websites & network infrastructures. Starting his professional career as a software engineer at one of the unicorns enables him in bringing “engineering in marketing” to reality. Working actively in the cybersecurity space for more than 2 years makes him the perfect T-shaped marketing professional. Ankit is an avid speaker in the security space and has delivered various talks on top companies, early-age startups, and online events.