- A state business license is required for most businesses in New Mexico.
- Occupational licenses are obtained from the municipality or the county in which you will do business.
- Most businesses must register with the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department.
- If you hire employees, you must register with the New Mexico Department of Labor.
- If your business needs to provide Workers Compensation coverage, you must file quarterly reports with the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department.
How to Get a Business License in New Mexico:
New Mexico State Sales Tax:
- New Mexico does not have sales tax.
- Instead, it has a 5% gross receipt tax that most businesses pass along to customers.
- Most food purchases are not taxed, see tax exceptions.
- Certain medical services are not taxed.