How to Get a Business License in Pennsylvania:
- If you plan to hire at least one employee, contact Internal Revenue Service to get an Employer ID Number (EIN), and to request your w-4, SS-4, Circular E and Publication 334 forms.
- Register your business entity online or download and print the registration forms.
- If your business will serve food or beverages, contact your local health department and the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture for registration and licensing procedures.
- Visit the Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry to review business license and permit requirements.
- Check with your local municipal governments for zoning, local license and permit requirements.
Pennsylvania State Sales Tax:
- Pennsylvania state tax is 6%.
- Local sales tax of 1% is collected on sales of taxable goods and services in Philadelphia and Allegheny counties.
- Food (unprepared), most wearing apparel, drugs, textbooks, sales for resale and residential heating fuels are exempt from sales tax.