SEO is a complex and ever-changing field. It can be hard to keep track of all the changes and updates that Google makes to their algorithm. That’s why we’ve put together a list of 15 surprising stats about SEO that will help you stay ahead of the curve!
Stats About SEO
There’s a reason I’m addicted to SEO. Here are 15 statistics about SEO that may surprise you:
- Over 70% of links clicked on by users are organic, not paid. (Search Engine Journal)
- The average first page result on Google contains nearly 1100 words. (Backlinko)
- 97% of consumers go online to find local services. (BrightLocal)
- 82% of smartphone users use a search engine when looking for local information. (BrightLocal)
- Google receives over 63,000 searches per second on any given day. (Internet Live Stats)
- 93% of all online experiences begin with a search engine. (Search Engine Land)
- 75% of people never scroll past the first page of search results. (Chitika Insights)
- Google has changed their algorithm over 500 times in the last year. (Moz)
- 66% of marketers say improving SEO and organic presence is their top inbound marketing priority. (HubSpot)
- Almost 60% of all organic clicks go to the first three organic search results. (BrightEdge)
- The top result in Google’s organic search receives 33% of traffic. (Search Engine Journal)
- 18% of local mobile searches lead to a sale within one day. (Search Engine Land)
- Voice search is expected to be responsible for 50% of all searches by 2020. (ComScore)
- 41% of marketers say they don’t have a defined SEO strategy. (HubSpot)
- Articles with the word “Guide” in the title get 3 times more traffic. (Semrush)
Putting SEO Statistics Into Your SEO Strategy
Now that you know some of the most important stats about SEO, it’s time to put them into action!
Read Our Guide: Top 10 SEO Ranking Factors: How to Increase Google Ranking
For a quick start, here are a few ways you can use these stats to improve your content marketing strategy:
Use Long-Tail Keywords
The average first page result on Google contains nearly 1100 words. Google’s goal is to provide their users with the best link for the term they are searching on. Longer articles contain more depth and typically have more descriptive terms and information.
This means that you need to be using long-tail keywords to rank on the first page. Like the name suggests, long-tail keywords are longer keyword phrases that are specific and descriptive. Example: use “accounting services for government contractors” instead of ‘accounting services”.
SEO stats show that more descriptive terms result in a tighter focus for your article. Fewer searches are done on long-tail terms, but the audience you attract has a higher likelihood of wanting the information on your page. And that means they are more likely a qualified prospect than someone searching for a generic term.
Create Local Content
Statistics about SEO indicate that 97% of consumers go online to find local services and 82% of smartphone users use a search engine when looking for local information. This means that if you want to attract local customers, you need to create content that is optimized for local search.
To do this, add blogs about a local event that you attended, post pictures that include geo-tagging (your phone will likely do the geo-tagging automatically), and mention nearby cities and zip (postal) codes. These together serve as signals to Google that verify that you serve your local market.
Include Video Content
Including video content in your blog posts can be a great way to engage readers and keep them coming back for more. Here are a few SEO stats that show the value of including video content in your blog:
- Video is expected to make up 82% of all internet traffic by 2021. (Cisco)
- 55% of people watch videos online every day. (HubSpot)
- Including a video on a landing page can increase conversion rates by 80%. (Unbounce)
Videos also increase your chances of obtaining backlinks from other sites, which improves your overall SEO footprint.
By following these tips, you can use the stats about SEO to improve your content marketing strategy and get more exposure for your business.
SEO is an important part of any online marketing strategy. By staying up-to-date on the latest trends and SEO statistics, you can ensure that your website is getting the most exposure possible.
If you’re looking for an SEO coach to guide you, we specialize in helping businesses improve their organic search ranking and increase traffic to their website.
Contact us today using the SEO coaching link above.
Raj Khera is publisher of MoreBusiness.com and a 3x CEO of B2B SaaS companies that were acquired by public firms.